Women's Financial Executive Network
The Women’s Financial Executive Network (WFEN) is a community of interest operating under the banner of FEI Canada. WFEN offers unique programming dedicated to the interests and career advancement of women in senior financial executive roles.
The WFEN was founded by Line Trudeau, past CFO of FEI Canada, in 2012 when she was Chair, WFEN on the Board of our Southern Golden Horseshoe Chapter (SGH).
With the support of volunteer members, we organize events tailored to women in senior financial executive roles. Cynthia Devine, former CFO of Tim Horton’s and now EVP and CFO of RioCan REIT, and a recipient of Canada's CFO of the Year Award, and Mary Lou Maher, a former CFO of KPMG’s and now Chief Diversity Partner, co-hosted the very first women’s network event in our SGH chapter in 2012.
Other key events included:
- Mary Lou Maher, Chief Diversity Partner, KPMG
- Maureen Jensen, Chair and CEO, (former Executive Director and CAO), Ontario Securities Commission
- Alex Johnston, Executive Director, Catalyst
- Eileen Mercier, Chair, Ontario Teacher’s Pension Plan
- Carolyn Lawrence, past President and CEO, Women of Influence Inc., now Leader, Gender Diversity & Inclusion at Deloitte Canada
Women on Boards (2014 SGH Chapter)
- Maureen Jensen, Chair and CEO, Ontario Securities Commission (former Executive Director and CAO)
- Selma M. Lussenburg, VP Governance, Corporate Safety & Security, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary at Greater Toronto Airports Authority
- David McIsaac, CFO of Northern Trust Canada
- Tanya van Biesen, co-leader of Spencer Stuart’s Financial Services practice in Canada
- David Huggins, President of Andros Consultants Limited
- Vic Wells, Chair of Canadian Financial Executives Research Foundation (CFERF)
Strategic networking (2014 SGH Chapter)
- Willa Silver, Founder or Professional Certified Coach
- Maria N. Thornton, Director Interim Resources Solutions, PTC Accounting & Finance
- Cathy Reed, VP Business Development, Right Management
- Elyse Allan, President & CEO, GE Canada
Gender intelligence, advancing women in leadership positions (2013 SGH Chapter)
- Jane Allen, Partner and Chief Diversity Officer at Deloitte
Personal branding (2013 SGH Chapter)
- Naireen Lowe, President, MCI Strategies
- Mandy Shapansky, President & CEO, Xerox Canada
Meet Colleen Johnston (2012 Toronto Chapter)
- CFO at TD Bank Group and recipient of the 2012 CFO of the Year TM award.
Additional resources from organizations that support professional women and women in business are listed below.
Founded in 1962, Catalyst is the leading non-profit organization expanding opportunities for women and business. With operations in the United States, Canada, Europe, India, Australia, and Japan, and more than 700 member organizations, Catalyst is the trusted resource for research, information, and advice about women at work. Catalyst annually honors exemplary organizational initiatives that promote women’s advancement with the Catalyst Award.
Women in the Boardroom
Women in the Boardroom (WIB) is committed to advancing women in their careers and into the boardroom. WIB offers career-boosting programs, plus Premium Memberships, which assess member skill-sets, critiques the board bio, and helps make invaluable connections.
Whether you want to become a better leader, increase your connections, or get into the boardroom, participating in Women in the Boardroom’s face-to-face and virtual events will help you achieve your goals. All senior-management women are encouraged to connect with WIB as an opportunity to learn and network with other executives and board members.
Women of Influence
Women of Influence Inc. (WOI) is dedicated to the advancement of professional women. WOI produces inspiring, progressive, and celebratory events across the country. Our programs serve to fill the gap for women looking for mentors, looking to connect with like-minded individuals on their path to success, or looking for unique corporate entertainment.
To celebrate International Women's Day on March 8, 2015 Grant Thornton released an international report to understand the barriers to women's progress into leadership roles. Simply put: when women thrive, businesses thrive. Unlock your businesses potential for growth by raising diversity and boosting productivity.
- Regulators Release Results of Compliance with new Disclosure Requirements on Women on Boards and in Executive Officer Positions